Sunday, July 20, 2008

We had a bad day

I don't know what or who I should blame, but Karma wasn't on our side today... or maybe it was, because it all could have been so much worse.

Without too much details, our Sunday started at 0030 with a phone call from dad. We rushed down to Salem, Mom is OK, but had been taken to the hospital. We returned home at about 0630. We took a little nap until 0900, when we picked up Owen from our friend's house. (where we abruptly dropped him off at 0035)

We were tired, but didn't want to waste our day... and since we are trying to make Sunday our "hiking day" we left for I hike. We set off at about 1230. It's a five mile loop through Forest Park, a beautiful hike we discovered last summer. So, with Owen in the Baby Bjorn on me, we set out. At about 2.5 miles into the loop (the exact halfway point... the FARTHEST away from the car), I tripped on a root, and had a slow-motion fall. I twisted my left ankle, hit my right knee pretty hard, but my right arm kept Owen from hitting the ground. He started to cry, but I'm sure it's because his binkie fell out, not because he was hurt.

We switched who was carrying Owen, and started hobbling back towards the car. About 0.1 miles later, I heard Lucas trip and make a horrific noise. He hadn't fallen, but he had sprained his right ankle. We have never harmed ourselves hiking, now two injuries in 10 minutes. It took a long while for us to hobble out. When we made it to the car, we examined our wounds. Lucas' ankle looks like a half a tennis ball got shoved in there... mine more like a golf ball.

It all could have been worse... broken bones or a harmed Owen. Now, Lucas and I are just laid up on the couch for a while... we were going to make a nice dinner... now I think we'll order pizza. On an up side, we'd do very well in a three-legged race today!

Here are some quotes of the day that should have either foreshadowed our hike, or at least jinxed us!
  • "I don't know if I'll have the energy for the entire hike today" (marla)
  • "When I hike, it seems I always look down to see where my feet are going, rarely at the scenery" (lucas)
  • "I haven't sprained an ankle in a LONG time" (marla... said a week ago)
  • "I'll laugh if you sprain the other one too" (lucas, after I sprained the left one, about two minutes before he sprained his right one)

While I was going to take a picture of Owen on our hike today... the camera stayed in the backpack today. I probably would have dropped it if I had taken it out!

1 comment:

- Joanne O. said...

We hope everyone is ok.