Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Go for the Gold Raj

It's no secret, I love the Olympics. I LOVE THEM! I love that for two weeks, the entire world gets together and competes. They compete to be the best. I love that even small countries, like Tuvalu, can send their best athletes to compete. And that that all the athletes will always be able to say, "I'm an Olympic Athlete" even if they didn't win gold.

I love hearing national anthems, even if they aren't mine, and watching the tears of joy stream down the face of the new gold medalist. I love watching the little bios of the athletes, and learning of their home lives, their struggles, their dedication to their sport and then watching their dreams come true. Like Dara Torres, the 41 year old Olympic swimmer. She's in her fifth Olympics and does the 50 yard freestyle. The sprint of all sprints... and she just set the American record! Amazing! I love the victories, and I love the defeats. I just love the Olympics.

I love all the sports... even curling in the winter games, and archery in the summer games. I get hooked on all of them. Have you watched the steeplechase in track and field? It's fascinating! Since I won't ever be an Olympic Athlete (unless I take up curling), I live vicariously through these athletes... I'm sure they don't mind.

At first I thought having Owen at the beginning of summer was great because I had the summer off. But really... I love that I don't work one day of the 2008 summer games. I'll be able to watch, and/or tape every last hour. And don't you think I won't watch all of it, from the opening ceremony, to the final Olympic cheer.

A few weeks ago, I watched the Olympic trials for men's gymnastics. NBC did a little bio on Raj Bhavsar. He was an alternate for the 2004 Olympics, and he was trying again for Beijing. It was a great piece, he's so humble and talented. He did great in the trials, placed third. But, he did not make the Olympic team. He was an alternate... again. After NBC made my heartstrings pull for Raj, he didn't even make the team. To make me love him more... he said that he was proud to be an alternate, and that "he would do his job for team USA". Of course, I was mad at NBC, mad at the Men's Gymnastic Olympic Committee. Why didn't they want Raj?

But I just learned that, unfortunately, Paul Hamm (the reigning gold medalist) had to pull out of the Olympics because of a broken hand. While I am very sad for Paul, his dreams vanished, I am very happy to say that they made Raj part of the team! That's just another reason I love the Olympics, when one dream disappears, another dream comes true.

The Olympics start 08-08-08. I may not answer my phone, I'll be watching the Olympics.

No comments: