Monday, July 14, 2008

Maybe I want to be Japanese

WARNING: This entry has NOTHING to do with Owen. There will be no pictures. There will be no cute stories. The only thing this entry has to do with Owen is that he is sleeping and I am typing while he sleeps (finally). IF this bothers you, read no further. Wait and tomorrow will be a picture. I promise.

I have found two new show on television that I am in love with. They are not a new series. Not a "new summer sensation". One of them has been on for over 20 tournaments! They aren't a series that you needed to start from the beginning, and if you didn't start them you feel left out. (Please don't ask me if I watch Lost or Grey's anatomy... I never started them, and honestly it's too late for me now)

My two new shows are Ninja Warrior and Unbeatable Banzuke. They are on cable channel G4 (if you are Comcast subscribers, channel 136). They are fabulous. They are Japanese shows. Not crazy game shows that make you sit on blocks of ice the longest... no nothing silly like that.

Ninja Warrior takes these freakishly strong people through a serious of crazy obstacle courses. 100 people start, and MAYBE 5 will pass the first stage. You have to pass 4 stages to become the Ultimate Ninja Warrior. I think only 3 people have done so... and they've done this 20 times!

Unbeatable Banzuke takes people with crazy talents through crazy obstacle course. Imagine watching a unicyclist jump over rocks, or a person climb stairs while walking on his hands. It's amazing! And if you make it over all the obstacles, you get your name on the Banzuke. I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't happen very often. And who wouldn't want their name on the Banzuke!

They don't win millions of dollars. They don't win a new car or a show in Vegas. Their win is knowing they did something very few others can. That's it.

To make these shows even better, it's all in Japanese! It's subtitled, but you don't need them. The excitement of the voices is contagious! But if you do read the subtitles... they too are hilarious because not everything translates. Or maybe that's just the way they talk.

I now know why Lucas wanted Owen to be Japanese... I want him to become the Ultimate Ninja Warrior... or perfect his stilt walking so he could get his name on the Banzuke.

1 comment:

- Joanne O. said...

LOL!!! You two are made for each other. :)