Monday, August 31, 2009

Remember

Ode to my washing machine:

Remember when we got you?
Back in '98
You came into our household
not a moment too late.

Suzi and I (and mom and dad)
had a garage sale in dreams of you
needing something special
to get our clothes looking new.

You weren't the most expensive,
you weren't the cheapest yet,
we invested money into you
you were a fine little bet.

You and dryer came to stay,
and moved many times
never forgetting
how to get out moving grime.

Lots of moves
you held on well
then Suzi heard
her wedding bells

(she chose the N64, I got the washer and dryer)

I got you,
we moved away
two more years
out the west side way.

Then I got married
out to Hillsboro for you
don't worry little maching
I wore something blue.

And now we're up to 2009
marriage, baby and one due soon
but for you, today
you sung your last tune.

You tried so hard to wash those sheets,
up to the very last spin
maybe it was that extra towel
that did your fine self in.

Now you're full of water,
my sheets are very wet
I am looking for a new machine
to wash and soak and set.

Thanks for all your washings
thanks for rinsing too
I must go on, not pout to much
I do get something new!
(and more energy efficient)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marla, how I love your poetic rhyme. Again, so sorry about the washer. (Jill)

nro said...

so sorry for your loss... may something shiny and HE dull your pain. our fridge is showing signs of age (they aren't supposed to creak, right?) and i suspect that i will be saying sweet goodbye to it soon.... perhaps i will contact you to write the eulogy...
- nikki