Monday, August 17, 2009

I love Geeks

I love geeks. More importantly, I love the Geek Squad, located in Best Buy. I love their dorky... er... geeky uniforms: white shirts, black ties and even their acne, which I don't think is part of their uniform but it makes them that much more geeky... and lovable.

Our laptop computer died. It worked Thursday night. Somewhere between then and when I tried to turn it on Friday evening, it decided to take a "long slumber", a visit to the other side (I wonder if it saw a white light?). I checked all the power sources, all looked good. I gently rubbed the battery, so see if I could give it a little recharge. Nothing.

We went through the grieving process:
Denial: maybe it will work tomorrow.
Anger: damn computer, it's only 2.5 years old. (old for a computer, but young in spirit)
Bargaining: maybe if I use a different plug it will work... maybe if I press the power key even longer...
Depression: I don't have the money for a new computer... What about all my pictures? How will I do banking, post blogs, check my needless, yet addictive, Facebook account without a computer. Will I have to work an extra shift, just to have Internet access!
Acceptance: All right. I'm sure we can get a cheap computer. Back to school specials are going on... we don't need anything fancy. It shouldn't set us back that much.

So, today, Owen and I took our laptop to Best Buy to visit the Geeks. While I still had hope in my heart... I was prepared for the worst. The nice guy took my computer from my hands, and set it on the counter behind him. He shook it... made a bad face, "I hear a rattle". DEAR LORD, MY COMPUTER RATTLES! That's not good. He pushed the power button, just like I had... nothing. "come on geek, do your geeky best".

Then, he took the battery out of the back, pressed the power button again. (uh, geek... even I know my computer needs the battery to work... I got concerned... is this really a geek, or just a guy in a costume). Then, he put the battery back, hit the button again and... and... it turned on! MAGIC GEEKY HANDS! You brought life back to my dead computer! I love you.

Even more love flowed when I asked how much we owed, and he said "nothing... just run away". So, with Owen in the stroller, and my working computer in tow... I walked, with a spring in my step, out of Best Buy into the warm summer air... what a great day!

1 comment:

MOM said...

That's the best "Best Buy" story I have ever heard!