Sunday, March 6, 2011

How was your day?

I know it's a simple question. I hear it all the time, or variations of it: How was your day? What are you up to? Have fun plans tonight? Enjoying the weather? Simple, innocent questions asked by nice people: the checker at the grocery store, the nice lady making my morning latte, a waiter at a restaurant. I will always reply, with a simple sigh, fine, not much, sure... the weather's fine.

But what I want to wear is a big sign that says, "MY BABY HAS CANCER" Or maybe hand out a card that says, "I am not OK, and my day was not that good. I was at the hospital this morning, like I am every morning. My son was crying because he doesn't feel good and doesn't know why. But I know why... he has leukemia. No, not the leukemia like your second grade teacher's four year old son, who's 17 now had... infant leukemia, much worse. We will be in the hospital for the next YEAR... that's right 53 weeks. So, I hope you have a good day... I really do... but please don't ask me. It's too hard to lie and smile and say, I'm good".

But, maybe that's a little too dramatic. I've never really been a dramatic type. In all honesty, most days I wouldn't need to hand out that card, but some days...

This is a marathon of a journey, a trek up a very steep mountain... and each day is a step, a step forwards, backwards or sideways... but a step. We all just have to keep trudging...

3 comments:

MOM said...

I know exactly what you mean, Marla. Of course, from a Grandma point of view, but from a Mom's too - (how to help you!). I unloaded (vented) - but nicely - to the man at The Christian book store the other night. Sometimes it is OK to just say - nope, things are NOT going OK in my life. My baby (Grandson) has leukemia.

Dad said...

I am afraid our family is going to have to help each other through this...one tear at a time.

nursedaniels said...

This latest entry and many others make me want to cry. My heart aches for what your whole family is going through. I think about you guys often. You both are doing such a fabulous job holding it together and sharing your thoughts on your experience.
I wish I could write the perfect thing that would at least put a smile on your face for a minute. I realize though that maybe just letting you know that one other person is praying for your sweet baby is good. Big kisses to your Henry and Owen.