Saturday, April 18, 2009

What did you do today?

If you start the actual day at midnight, I've had a very productive/busy day. It started at work where we shocked one person out of Torsades 49 times in 90 minutes. You may not understand this, but if you do... WOW. When I came home, I took a little nap. When I woke up, we all went to Red Robin to meet up with Bob and Amy. It was Tip-A-Cop day to raise money for the Special Olympics... and what's better than the Special Olympics?
Bob was in uniform. I don't know what was more exciting for Bob, helping raise money for kids, or seeing Owen. (I'm assuming Owen).
Owen really liked the shiny badge. He got one as a sticker too!
What a proud Grandpa!
After lunch, we got Owen to take a nap while we "landscaped". I love that we don't have grass, and every two years or so we have to re-bark dust. So, we borrow Nick's wheel barrow and rake and shovel and go to work.


Before and After.

The final front yard... next weekend the back yard! If anyone wants to help... I have beer and pizza for ya! After bark dusting, we headed to the kitchen. Lucas has slowly acquired all the parts for making sausage. It's nice that all the pieces are connected to our Kitchen-Aid. Here's what we did for our very first batch...
First grind up some pork shoulder and pork fat. We seasoned it, and got the intestinal casings ready (seriously, this is gross but fun too!)
Shove the casings onto the "sausage attachment"... again, gross but fun.

I was in charge of stuffing the seasoned sausages through the machine... Lucas put it into the casings... Look at my husbands large sausage!

Then, you twist the sausage into links...
The final product: Northern Italian Spicy Sausage...

It's quite tasty... so tasty that tomorrow I think we'll try to make kielbasa!
Now, we are watching the Blazers play the first game of the first round of playoffs. The game and a nice piece of pizza and beer... what a great ending to a great day!

3 comments:

MOM said...

The sausages look great! SO yummy!!

Christy said...

You have all the fun at work...All I ever do is admit, admit, admit lame non critical patients anymore it seems! It's been ages since I've shocked someone! I'm so jealous!

Marcy said...

Those sausages would go perfectly with a Blazer game. Rip City Uprise!