Monday, October 6, 2008

house fire

(please remember these two things: 1. Lucas made a wonderful lasagna on Saturday. However, it dripped all over the bottom of the oven. 2. We have a very sensitive smoke detector. Our joke is that whenever it goes off we say "don't worry, nothing's on fire!)

This afternoon, I decided to make apple cake. It's an easy recipe, so I thought I'd be able to whip it together quickly. I set my oven to 350, started dicing apples and stirring in the ingredients, when my oven started making a funny beep, and the display read "F-2". I opened the oven. It let out a billow of smoke and then I saw a small, but real, flame of fire. Quickly I shut the door.

Amazing how much stuff goes through your head in a mere few seconds
  • Do I call 911?
  • Do I use my fire extinguisher: PASS (pull, aim, squeeze, sweep)?
  • Is my fire extinguisher out of date?
  • Do I RACE (Rescue, alarm, contain, escape)?
  • Remember the Thanksgiving the oven caught fire in Tillamook... mom said "IT'S OUT!!" NOT "GET OUT!!"
  • Baking Powder? Baking Soda? soda? powder? soda? powder?
  • Yellow box? Red can? Yellow box? Red can?
  • the smoke alarm is going off... and this time it's right!

Luckily I was baking, decided it was soda (it's good for everything) opened the oven and threw a handful in. (in all honesty, the fire probably would have gone out if I left the oven door closed, but I had a baby to protect.)

I now have a stinky house with a nasty burnt oven. But, at least I have a house, even if the oven stinks like burnt lasagna and baking soda!

As for my apple cake, it's safely baking in Kasi's oven.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I'd like to give you the title of "Nurse Firefighter." Your ability with memonics amazes me. PASS and RACE? That is the only reason you made it out alive.

javajill said...

Sorry for the stink. But you, again, crack me up with your ability to narrate an experience.