Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ida Mae

We spent the past weekend at Seaside. It was a great time. Some close friends stayed with us Friday and Saturday, then Lucas and I spent a few more days there by ourselves. One of the great things to do at Seaside is go to the Arcade. My goal when I spend my money is to earn coupons so I can spend my winnings on candy, cards and other things I do not need... but I like to see how many I can win. Lucas on the other hand plays the actually video games, shooting people and landing airplanes.

One of my favorite games in the past is... well... I'll say it... it's a nerd game. I think it's called Cubix, match up colored blocks, clear the screen win lots of coupons. I am good at this game... in the past winning of 1200 coupon on just a couple dollars. It's great fun, and for only 50 cents a game, I make I killing. (being a nerd DOES pay off) However, this time, to my disappointment, they changed the rules. Now instead of 80,000 points for the big bonus, you need 200,000. This feat is impossible. Now for 80,000 you only get SIX coupons.... not worth my time! They must have realized nerds LOVE this game... it's fun and you get paid well for it.

I found other games to payout my coupons. I played a whop-a-mole type game until my arms ached... but worth the 100s of coupons I would receive. Since we were there a few days, we visited the Arcade 2 times. I had earned over 1000 coupons (mainly due to a JACKPOT win on Wheel of Fortune).

It was time to trade in my coupons... the candy, the shot glasses, the postcards could all be mine... then Lucas said, "why don't you give the coupons to that little kid? We don't need that junk." JUNK??!!! He must of meant PRIZES that I had worked hard for. But then I saw how excited that kid was when he turned in his 18 coupons... 18... that's child's play... oh, wait he was only 7. I felt like Ida Mae in Ghost when she has to sign over 4 million dollars to the nuns. I held my coupons.

"maybe I'll just give him a couple hundred?" I said.

Lucas replied with the most hated of phrases: "I know you'll do the right thing."

Right thing is to buy 100 bit-o-honeys. 40 Atomic fireballs. They even had Chick-a-Sticks! The long ones, not just the little stubby ones... "do the right thing".

I did. I gave him my 1000 coupons. He was probably happier than on Christmas Day. He glowed with excitement... I did "do the right thing", but I pouted a little on my way out of the arcade... I missed bit-o-honey.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ha ha! I love the narrative! And I love chick-a-sticks, too. They remind me of Tilla-Skate on a Friday night. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you Marla, altho upon reading the end of your story I had a sad, pouty-lip face on for you. Proud/sad. Proud/sad. Proud wins!!!

nro said...

wow, lucas is practicing his guilt-laden parenting approach - sounds like he has honed his skills to perfection! and really, you couldn't have snuck away to the bathroom and saved a couple hundred for yourself? oh, fine, happiness for the little kid! ;)