Saturday, October 20, 2007

I'm back...

What a wonderful trip! It was worth the 24 hour travel time. We had a lot of fun in Prague, Vienna and Budapest. I'm currently downloading my 250 pictures (not an exaggeration).

Here are a few things I've missed while I was away:

  • Milk
  • conditioner (I didn't pack shampoo or conditioner for space reasons, hotels only give you crappy non-sudsing shampoo... OH how my hair loved the conditioner last night)
  • drinkable tap water.
  • Not having to pay for water at restraurants. (paying 3 dollars for .3l of icky mineral water)
  • Being able to read signs for directions
  • Eavesdropping on ENGLISH conversations!
  • Of course, family and friends.
We are off to the farmer's market... once my pictures are ready, I'll try (again) to post a picture or two... promise not the 250! Those you'll have to wait for the album for!

3 comments:

nro said...

welcome back! i've missed you... can't wait for the pics! :)

javajill said...

Who knew that conditioner would be such a luxury item?!? Can't wait for the pic, as I'm pretty sure the postcards you sent were fake. Ha ha.

- Joanne O. said...

Oh yes, I remember the days of living in Germany and missing all of the conveniences of home.

Milk. . . (trying to find milk at the local grocery) It is located in a box on the counter. What? Hot milk?

Conditioner and bathing essentials. . . Yeah, Europeans don't think alot of being very clean and smelling good. A friend was dating a German girl and gave her a razor and deodorant for her birthday.

Drinkable tap water. . . The days of having to used bottled water for everything. . tea, cooking, drinking, etc. I remember a few times running out and about died before I got back to the grocery to get more.

Not having to pay for water at restaurants. . . Oh yes, the land of paying more for a soda or water than beer. And, don't forget the ice cubes. I totally missed ice cubes in the restaurants.

Being able to read signs for directions. . . About 2 weeks after I moved to Germany I ventured out by myself to buy groceries. My ex was gone for training, so I was on my own. Needless to say, I got lost for about 5 hours. I was in total tears because I didn't know anyone, he was gone, I couldn't speak German, and didn't have a clue how I was going to find my way home. Finally, I spotted a military vehicle so I followed it. Eventually, I came upon Americans and found help.

Eavesdropping on English conversations . . . So many times I wish I knew German so I could know what they were saying about us Americans.

You definately learn to appreciate home!!!!