Monday, January 3, 2011

Getting Ready

After almost 11 months without one, in less than 36 hours, Henry will have a palate. He'll be able to say "K" and "Q" words, and maybe less food will come out of his nose. While Lucas and I both know this is what needs to happen, it doesn't make it any easier. We both feel stress, anxiety, fear, and some sort of emotion I don't even know. An emotion I would never wish anyone else to ever experience. Henry is such a happy little guy... I don't want to imagine how much pain he'll be in... and maybe that's what's making this so hard. The anticipation. The not knowing how he'll tolerate surgery. The fact that he has no anxiety, no fear... he has no idea what's about to happen. I keep reassuring myself that he won't remember. That he will treat us well when we get old, as he has taken YEARS off me and Lucas' life.

Luckily, we are surrounded by friends and family who will help us through this, as they helped us through his first few days, weeks and months of Henry's life. Friends and family who sacrifice their own schedules to surround us with love and support. Friends and family who I can't imagine life without.

Tonight, in preparation, we took Henry to get his second haircut. His first one was still a "baby" haircut. Tonight, we went "little boy" hair cut. He had a great time playing with the steering wheel of his taxi cab and drooling all over the place. He looks so grown up! So cute! So happy.

FYI: surgery starts Wednesday the fifth at 0730. We have to be at Emanuel Hospital by 0600. Hopefully surgery will only take one and a half hours. Hopefully only one night in the hospital and we will come home. Both Lucas and I are taking two weeks off of work, as the first two weeks will be the hardest.

No comments: