Sunday, November 22, 2009

Parenthood

There are things I expected as being a "newer" parent. I expected to see my child learn new things, new words, have new experiences. I expected hugs and kisses, tears and tantrums. There are things I expected, but would rather not have experienced, like getting peed on, getting pooped on, or learning that my sleeves are built in Kleenexes. There are things I see in him that I see in myself or Lucas. Things he does, his laugh, his expressive eyebrows that make me see his personality. There are things he does that remind me of my own childhood. Last night was one of those experiences. And while I thought it WOULD happen eventually... I didn't think it would happen so soon...or to me.

FLASHBACK: WARNING: the following experience is recreated from my own childhood memory. This may, or may not have happened this way... but this is my story, my memory. I am pretty sure this happened when we lived in Corvallis. So I was maybe 4 years old, which makes my sister Suzi 2 years old. We were taking a bath together, as kids do. Suzi pooped in the bathtub. I remember yelling to dad, "DADDY!!! SUZI JUST POOPED IN THE BATHTUB". (remember, my memory, my story). I also think this may have been our last bath together.

Now, fast forward nearly three decades. History repeats itself. Last night, Owen pooped in the bathtub. Lucas wasn't even here to help. (I'll spare you all the picture I sent him) I don't think I ever expected, as a parent, to clean poop out of a bathtub. My childhood memory stopped with Suzi's poop... not that Dad had to clean it out. Gross. But now I know to expect much much worse in my future!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Gee thanks, me and poop in the same story.... :)

But I do recall taking baths together in Tillamook, too, because I was devastated the day you told me you wouldn't take them with me anymore. I remember crying on the big brown couch. Ha ha, how fitting that it was the big, brown couch.

Christy said...

Amber did that once. I feel your pain!

MOM said...

I remember it as happening in Bend after we remodeled the bathroom - so ages could still have been 4 & 2. You were in kindergarten when we lived in Corvallis, so would have bee 5. And yep, Dad would have been the one who would have cleaned it up. I would have been the one rescuing you both out of the tub and trying to calm you down. Sorry you had to experience it without Lucas there to help you....

Lucas said...

Yeah, I'm also sorry I missed it.