Thursday, March 6, 2008

They should have sent a poet

It was a beautiful day in Hillsboro... the sky was blue, it was almost 60 degrees... it was very "springy". Unfortunately, Lucas and I both worked tonight, so we slept away the beautiful day... no worries, there will be other sunshiny days.

Tonight on our way into work Lucas wanted an Iced Latte. As soon as he said it, my mouth began to water, a small tear welled up in my eye... I wanted an Iced Latte too. It has been MONTHS since I've had coffee... and an ICED latte, on this beautiful blue day seemed so perfect.

Let me pause here a moment... I agree that first trimester you shouldn't have caffeine. But after that, I'm really not opposed to coffee during pregnancy. Maybe not a pot a day, or even a cup a day... but some caffeine never hurt anyone. I, however, have not been drinking the nectar of the gods because once I drink it, my stomach curses me for hours. Since there are not enough Tums to make my stomach feel better sometimes...I have not had coffee in FOREVER!

Back to tonight. We were driving into work, and Lucas pulled into my favorite drive-thru coffee shop... Coffee Rush. He got his 16oz iced latte. I caved in and got a "baby" coffee. A 12oz, one shot iced latte. My first sip was everything I thought it should be. It was cold, on my lips. The coffee taste was perfectly balanced with the milk. All I could think of was when in "Contact", Jodi Foster quoted Carl Sagan: They should have sent a poet.

Words cannot describe how good this latte tasted. I won't even try. But it was heavenly.

I didn't even gulp it down. I savoured each sip through that pink straw.

I finished while were were stopped in rush hour traffic. Even the traffic didn't bother me... I was on cloud 9... or even a higher cloud if they make 'em higher.

Then it happened... right around the exit to the zoo... my stomach revolted. The acid built up. The lining started peeling away from its edges. I could not get to my Tums fast enough (yes, I am now that pregnant lady that carried Tums (the Berry variety) in her purse). I was in minor mysery.

I cannot say the perfect non-fat iced latte wasn't worth it. I still drool when I think of that perfect taste... but I will say that I don' think I'll be ordering another latte anytime soon. Unless I can get a non-fat Berry Tums latte... and well, that doesn't sound good at all!

To all the coffee drinkers out there... have one for me and baby Friedler.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Non-fat berry tums latte? You are on to something! That could be your claim to fame right there!

But in the meantime I will happily oblige and drink coffee on your behalf. My third morning cup has your name written all over it! :)

javajill said...

Oh, Marla. I laughed until there were tears in my eyes. Because I can identify, not so much with the stomach revolt, but that I know it's a slippery slope, so I haven't even bothered to have the one small beverage. (Well, except for a month ago, but you know what I mean!) Seriously, how can a person with an email like "javajavajill" go so long without the nectar of the Gods?

Suzanne said...

Jill-I'll dedicate my 4th cup today to you! (Insert evil coffee laugh here.....)

- Joanne O. said...

If the Tums stop working, get some Prevacid. My doctor prescribed these to me while I was pregnant and one pill took all the acid reflex and burning away that bottles of Tums couldn't.