Monday, September 10, 2007

not a boy scout

My dad is an eagle scout... he is always prepared... that's the motto, be prepared. I proved this weekend that I am NOT a boy scout, or even a girl scout... I was not prepared.

Lucas and I went camping this weekend with our friends Patti and Dan. We went to Cape Lookout State Park, outside of Tillamook. Even though I grew up in Tillamook, I don't think that I've ever camped at this park. But that's not the point of this story. It was a beautiful day, clear skies, even warm for the Oregon coast.

We packed what we felt we needed, but in our defense, we packed quickly. We had woken up early to drive to the Portland Farmer's market for Biscuits and Gravy. I don't like Biscuits and Gravy, Lucas swears this vendor had the BEST B & G around. I had a tasty biscuit sandwich, but I digress again. We hurried home and packed quickly...

Patti and Dan had mentioned a hike... luckily I did pack our hiking boots. What we didn't pack was water, sunscreen or snacks. It was a 5 mile, beautiful hike out to the point of Cape Lookout. It was a lovely view. We were thirsty. We were hungry. Luckily Patti brought two bottles of water and shared. She also shared some tasty trail mix, which I don't think I've actually ever eaten on a trail.

Then we went to the camp site, set up camp. As the night progressed, it got cold. Somehow I thought we were still summer camping (it's the beginning of September) and I did not pack enough clothes. We also didn't pack our flashlights (again Dan to the rescue with a head lamp for us to borrow) As I snuggled into my mummy sleeping bag, with not enough clothes, Lucas without socks, we thought WHY DIDN'T WE PACK WARMER CLOTHES! It made me think of an opening game I went to a few years back with Jill... how we FROZE watching the Mariners... FROZE (a mistake we've never repeated) But, that's just another tangent for another time...

In the morning we emerged from our tents, barely rested, still frozen. Patti and Dan emerged with warm layers, two flashlights and good sleep... They went off to do a morning hike, we packed up to drive home and sleep.

Maybe they are the scouts Lucas and I aren't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed you could get that far away from the car without rain gear and not cause a torrential downpour on the entire Oregon Coast

nro said...

oh, that SO would not happen in my house... my scout checks off the 10 essentials every time we leave the house... he even put a first aid kit in my car (the only reason i know is b/c i was saying what a good idea it would be to have one in my car, and he looked at me like i was crazy, and told me there WAS one in my car). i am impressed with the trail mix on the trail. i always thought that was a bit confusing, seems like a bar would be easier to eat while hiking. - nikki :)